New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Calamansi Muffins - AFF Philippines Merienda Cakes #2

1st recipe

Calamansi muffins is famous in the beautiful island of Boracay, Philippines. Just do a google search and you will know.

I am crazy! I made this muffin 4 times!

First time I used a mixer to do it, whacking it too much causing the muffin to be so fluffy! Not right! According to Swee San, it's supposed to be dense and moist, with a cake like texture. It wasn't as tangy as I will like it, kind of bland in terms of zing. And it had that fine texture that sticks to parts of your mouth and will need some effort to swallow, you know what I mean?

It's this type of texture, the main reason, I don't enjoy certain cafe muffins. Shenny, my reader friend will vouch with me on this.

2nd Recipe

Then the second time I creamed the butter with a spoon, jacked up the flour, increased the calamansi juice, reduced the milk and the previous amount of baking soda was retained. And I also let the batter sit for 15 minutes.

While waiting, I made the 3rd batter. Beating it fluffy with a mixer, used all calamansi juice and no baking powder at all. This time.. it was tangy tangy..for both batches. Tangy and nice. The one that I let sit for 15 minutes turn out to have a more preferable texture, 'spongier'. But still, the 3rd is better than the 1st. But it depends on which one you like, you might not like the one I do.


The fourth time, I tried 250gm flour with the basic recipe 1, forgot to let it sit.. and so.. the muffin's texture was fine and not as spongy. Kind of like how I will say it is....hmmm.... hard to swallow, but not as bad as first attempt.

I'm glad my kids gladly devoured all 4 attempts.. hahaha!
I'm not that wicked, I ate 1/3 of them, but I shall admit, I made half the portion each time to experiment.

FYI, calamansi is known as limau kasturi in Malaysia or 桔子 in the local Chinese lingo..... neh the common small lime leh.. the type that many grow at home after CNY... the one you find in your 'teh O ais limau'.


Calamansi Muffins (Boracay's Real Coffee and Tea copycat)

Recipe 1
Reference: Pepper PH
Makes 12

90ml calamansi juice
2Tbsp milk

125gm unsalted butter
1/4tsp salt
200gm sugar
2 eggs

220gm plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda

note: manual mixing

1. Mix calamansi juice with milk. Set aside.
2. Sift flour + baking powder + baking soda together.
3. Cream room temperature butter, salt, and sugar until combined. Add in eggs, one by one, stirring it, it may look lumpy. Add in calamansi mixture and mix.
4. Pour in all the flour and mix it until smooth, and continue to stir it for 30 seconds.
5. Let the batter rest for 15 minutes.
6. Preheat the oven at 180C. Grease a muffin pan with butter and generously dust with flour.
7. After 15 minutes, divide the batter into the muffin pan.
8. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the sides turn golden brown (top stays pale)




Fluffy Calamansi Cuppies

Recipe 2
by WendyinKK
Makes 12

125gm unsalted butter
1/3 tsp salt
160gm sugar

125ml calamansi juice
2 eggs

200gm plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda ( I think still can go for 2/3 tsp)

note: made with mixer

1. Preheat oven at 180C. Line 12 muffin holes with liners.
2. Sift flour + baking soda twice.
3. Cream butter, salt and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add in eggs, one by one, beating well after each addition.
5. Add in half the sifted flour and mix until smooth. Add in calamansi juice and mix until smooth. Add in all the flour and mix until just smooth.
6. Fill into the liners and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the top turns golden.





I am submitting this to Asian Food Fest Philippines Month

9 comments:

  1. Wendy,you baked four time to get the perfect one of your choice! Salute! Quite unique as I have not come across muffins using calamansi limes.Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phong Hong,
    Yup yup... no one makes muffins with calamansi, not that I know of, except in Boracay

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the fluffy one! looks more like cupcakes, which I prefer to muffins:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look so good and I like the fluffy type of muffins :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it! too bad i dont have an oven with me now :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy, always admire your experiment spirit! gonna try this out when my calamansi plants harvest again :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! These muffins look incredible! The Calamansi are so petite, so cute haha. I've never heard of them before! Are they similar in taste to regular limes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie,
    Imagine a cross between a lemon and a tangerine.... something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the texture and colour on the one without the paper liner looks most simliar to what I had tasted in Boracay. I'm going to try this, maybe half a batch haha
    but honestly i'm not a fan of this calamansi muffin though it sells out very very quickly. you can't get it on the spot without booking and paying upfront for it. it smells nice though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...